Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Italian 3-Cheese Stuffed Shells
















Italian 3-Cheese Stuffed Shells

Adapted from Gooseberry Patch Fall, Family & Friends

1 lb ground turkey
1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (I used bottled garlic)
2 cups hot water
12-oz can tomato paste
1 TBS instant beef bouillon (All I had were beef bouillon cubes, so I mixed one with hot water and used part of that)
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
16-oz container reduced fat cottage cheese
8-oz pkg shredded 2% mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 egg, beaten
24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked

Brown turkey, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Stir in water, tomato paste, bouillon and oregano; simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes. Stir together cottage cheese, one cup mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stuff cooked shells with cheese mixture; arrange in a greased 13x9 baking pan. Pour turkey mixture over shells. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese melts. Makes 6-8 servings.















This is one of the best stuffed shells recipes I've ever made or eaten. Past recipes have called for stuffing the shells with a meat/cheese mixture, and I definitely prefer this version with the meat mixture on top. We can't wait to heat this up for leftovers all week!
-Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. I am definatley trying this soon. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tried it last weekend, it was awesome! Great taste and relatively healthy, as I couldn't find low fat cheeses. I'm amazed by how many recipes I like on your blog. We definitely have similar taste :) Again, thank you for posting this recipe. It's definitely one of my favorite now. Veronika

    ReplyDelete