Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Stove-Top Lasagna

Let me begin by saying that my first recipe post is a fail because I have no pictures to post. Better luck next time!

Stove-Top Lasagna
Adapted from Betty-Crocker Quick & Easy Cookbook

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar chunky tomato sauce (I used Ragu Chunky Tomato, Basil, Onion)
1 pkg sliced mushrooms
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
3 cups egg noodles (I used Ronzoni Whole Wheat Egg Noodles)
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup shredded mozzarella (I used Kraft 2% Shredded Mozz.)

In a 12-inch skillet (or Dutch oven, which I will not possess until Christmas), cook turkey and onion over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Drain.

Stir remaining ingredients except cheese into turkey. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender (it was more like 15 minutes for me). Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 2 minutes.



This was a wonderful comfort food meal, made a bit healthier by the ground turkey (orignial recipe called for beef), whole wheat noodles and reduced fat cheese. At first I was worried that the noodles wouldn't soak up enough water (the original recipe called for mini lasagne noodles which I could not find in Farm Fresh or Kroger). The added simmering time seemed to do the trick though. We will definitely make this again as a good fall/winter meal. It was just as good heated up for lunch today!

-Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment